Is it possible to reference individual buttons/entries in the Clipboard group?

Questions, comments, and suggestions related to Typeitin.
JoeKundlak

Is it possible to reference individual buttons/entries in the Clipboard group?

Post by JoeKundlak » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:50 am

Hi guys,

apart from TypeItIn (which I use at work) I also use a similar app at home (ArsClip), which is also a multi-Clipboard and Macro tool.
ArsClip is able to reference its individual clipboard entries via its "POPUPITEM=X" command, such as in the example below:

Code: Select all

<a href="[POPUPITEM=1]">Page name: [POPUPITEM=0]</a> - Description: [POPUPITEM=2]
This way you can easily fill out forms or process frequently-used entries via macros...

Is there such a possibility in TypeItIn, apart from using only the currently-copied text in the clipboard?

Wavget
Site Admin

Re: Is it possible to reference individual buttons/entries in the Clipboard group?

Post by Wavget » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:03 am

I'm not sure I understand your question. Do you mean that a Typeitin button should be able to reference a button in the Clipboard group?

For example, something like this?

Code: Select all

<a href="{ClipButton 1}">Page name: {ClipButton 0}</a> - Description: {ClipButton 2}

JoeKundlak

Re: Is it possible to reference individual buttons/entries in the Clipboard group?

Post by JoeKundlak » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:31 am

I guess, but I cannot get your code to work... perhaps again due to the different (and company-specific) version of TypeItIn 2.9.4 I use?

Wavget
Site Admin

Post by Wavget » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:38 am

I'm sorry, I should have been more clear... that is not a function right now, just an example of what might be possible in a future version.

Adding the ability to retrieve a specific clipboard button's content is definitely a possibility.

Since the clipboard buttons are filled whenever you copy something, how do you know what the contents of each button is?

JoeKundlak

Post by JoeKundlak » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:20 am

This is best used with a few recent Clipboard entries, not say 10+ of them, you would probably not be able to remember those :)

A scenario, using my below example with <a href>:

I know I am going to add to my list of useful websites a new entry, consisting of the URL, the page name and a short description. I copy these three text variables from the webpage into the clipboard (in this specific order, so that the URL is the oldest variable and the description the newest) and then use the pre-prepared button in TypeItIn to combine and paste the last three Clipboard entries into a single combined entry.

The prerequisite here is of course remembering the correct order of copying relevant entries into the Clipboard, so that your result is not mismatched. But for example at work I use TypeItIn/ArsClip for many repetitive tasks and text-entries, where they are already ingrained in my brain, so I know the order to copy the source entries in.

Another example would be filling out a form, consisting of personal details about a person copied previously (Name, Surname, Date of Birth, Social security number, Address, Occupation...), where TypeItIn can be used to Paste-TAB-Paste-TAB-etc. through it, using the recent Clipboard entries.

Wavget
Site Admin

Post by Wavget » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:10 am

Thanks for the detailed explanation, it makes sense now.

I will add something like {ClipButton 1} that I used in my example to the next (beta) version of Typeitin.

Regards,
Paul.

JoeKundlak

Post by JoeKundlak » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:18 am

Thx Paul!
Hope it later rolls into the version my company uses :)